Thursday, March 12, 2009

Mango Caramel Pudding

I am on a food spree!! I don't know why I haven't done this before! If I would have kept on posting recipes on my blog, there wouldn't have been such big time warps in the blog. This is one of my favorite desserts ever!! If you like sweets, you'll love this! It is very easy to make as well! This will serve 4 in one sitting but you are so gonna love this, you better double the measurements. I made this in a 1.5 ltr tall pressure cooker with subsequent sized steaming stainless steel pots. You get the picture, right?

Ingredients
1 jumbo egg
2/3 slices of bread, edges removed.
225 ml(1 cup) whole milk
2/3 tablespoon store bought mango pulp(be generous)
1 tsp vanilla essence to cover up the eggy smell.
4-5 teaspoons of sugar

for caramel:
1/2 cup water
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon lemon juice

Preparation
Break an egg into a mixer/blender jar. Whip blend the egg till it becomes a lighter yellow.Add everything other than bread into the jar now. Mix well. Add the bread and run the mixer again till you see a uniform mixture.
Now prepare the caramel in a non stick pan by adding sugar and half that quantity of water and lemon juice. It helps if the pan is previously greased with a teaspoon of butter. When you see the nutty brown color appearing up, turn the gas off and keep stirring with a spoon all the while to avoid the vessel from being ruined. Caramels are famous for that. Pour an ample amount of this caramel at the base of the pot you are going to be steaming. Pour your pudding mixture over it gently so as not to push the caramel all on one side. I usually add butter roasted cashews and walnuts on the top but that is optional. Steam it well with the whistle on for about 10-13 minutes. Some precautions you have to take while making a pudding is that you shouldn't add too much of milk to the mixture. Else it will take a long time to cook and it will leave some liquid behind.

Serve with chunks of alphonso mango on the side.
Enjoy! Let me know how this turns out!

3 comments:

A_and_N said...

I'm on a diet :( But will surely try this out the next time I'm entertaining!

Mangoooo!

crumpledpapers said...

This is not something you wanna be seen eating with. You'll start licking your guests' plates as well! If I made it, I would make sure I get the biggest piece. hehehe

Mommyinme said...

Looks yummyyyy!!